Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Shooting Fish in a Barrel. "Experience farming" issue.

Yet another excellent article from Qeltar. This time published on Tip.it. It raises an issue about high level players farming combat experience on low level monsters. You all know about rock crabs, hill giants and experiments for sure. Those are just a few examples. I agree with the article that the current system does not encourage high level players to fight difficult monsters and often leads to situation when lower levels have hard time training because "all rock crabs are taken at the moment". I am somewhat guilty myself by not fighting dragons or bosses as much as my combat would indicate. Two solutions proposed by Qeltar are also very valid in my opinion: areas for low levels only would be a quick and easy fix, while restructuring of the experience gaining system would be a good long term move. I remember playing a few old text based MMORPGs where players would get less exp for killing the same monsters after the player's level has increased. And it worked just fine. I wouldn't mind at all to see something like that implemented in Runescape.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Like you say: if you gained less experience for monsters which were less than a quarter of your level that would encourage players to go face more challenging foes. Easy solution.

A more fun answer might be to have monsters which were below a quarter of your combat level run away from fights. Why do monsters always have to stand and fight to the death? The Spirit Wolves' Howl ability shows that Jagex already has the scripts to make monsters run away from you. High level players might get frustrated by having to chase their xp down, so they might move to higher level monsters. Also Jagex could make it that a monster which is running away could be "stolen" by a lower level player. lol.

Anything that Jagex does to discourage "grinding" would be a good thing.

Vaskor said...

Monster chasing would be fun :-)

Anonymous said...

With the combat skill there is already a restriction on xp from lower level monsters, if I hit a 20 and 1 hit kill a monster that is a potential of 20 lost hp because I can hit a 40 with my whip.

I had a Burthorped slayer task of goblins I went in the hut and slaughtered the 20 or so in a few seconds 1 hitting them, it was a total waste of time and the xp gained was poor but had to be done to get my next task.

The drops from low level monsters are not very good so there is no financial reason to attack them, chaos druids are often full of high levels getting herbs, cave crawlers are 100% better for herbs and there are rarely people there, if you can use fairy rings the Relleka dungeon is quite near a bank much better for high levels.

High level monsters drop lots of charms, high level players are the only people able to kill them, is that not a good motivation to train combat.

When I started out I trained slayer to motivate me to get higher combat now people have slayer and summoning to motivate them.

If you kill enough hill giants for the charms your combat goes up as well after a while you will be able to kill the higher level monsters to train it quicker.

I am very surprised of the mentality that some lower level players have in wanting to make everything easier, if everything was handed to you on a plate what is the point of playing, challenges are there to be challenging not a state handout.

When I was working through the ranks I never had half the easy routes available to new players, it was frustrating being a low level but I looked forward to working up to the next level and meeting my next goal.

You can complain about high levels taking low level monsters perhaps I can complain about low levels taking high level monsters.

If I get a task of steel or black dragons I can kill them in a minute or 2 unfortunately most of the time there is a low level player maging or ranging taking 20 minutes per dragon, how am I to get my slayer task done? I cant change world its the same on all worlds.

I do however think that there should be other ways to get charms because it is not a totally combat skill, thieving is an obvious choice, perhaps in birds nests in wood cutting.

 
2006-2009 RuneWise, all rights reserved.
Reproducing or copying any material found on this page is not allowed.
Runescape is a trademark of Jagex 2000-2009 Andrew Gower