Sunday, March 9, 2008

Making money on GE (The Grand Exchange)

I was looking for a good guide on GE trading and/or speculation and found nothing. There are tips here and there, but not all of them are good and nothing was really worth studying. There is also a common sense approach: watch the prices, buy low and sell high in a week or so after the prices are up. That works, of course, I personally made 6 millions by doing just that with Santa Hats. But it is not where big money are. Then I suddenly realized that I might be an expert on GE speculation. After all I am making about 3 millions daily on GE spending 15-20 minutes of playing time...

But before I share with you my strategy, let's get a few things straight:

a) I know that many people consider speculation on GE (or on a stock market which is pretty much the same) unethical. I am NOT going to argue with it. If you feel that way, just stop reading this post and add me to you "lowly merchants" black list. I will only say, that risks are involved and research has to be made in order to be successful in this type of merchanting.

b) I am NOT going to disclose which items I am trading. Find yours! The thing is that if many people start trading the same item using this method, it might become more difficult to profit from it. But I can assure you that there are many good items out there to trade.

c) If you are indeed going to use my strategy and if you are successful in doing it, be ready for a change in your gameplay. It could be a problem, because there is a potential to make more money than you need and you may loose enjoyment of using your skills for "money making" schemes and activities. Now I am at the point when I can pretty much "buy skills" and I have to restrain myself from doing it in many cases. For instance, I don't want to buy Palm and Magic tree seeds for my Farming, though I could afford it now, or buy tons of Red Chinchompas for raising Ranged. Decide for yourself and be careful.

Also, please, understand that I wasn't a merchant before GE. Selling staff in pre-GE time was always a chore for me and I welcomed GE with both hands. For a while I was only selling my backlog of items there, then the prices went down and I made a few solid investments in cannonballs and pure essence. Both worked nicely and I suddenly got 20M in cash at the beginning on January. Then I did my Santa Hat and Green H'ween Mask trades, which added another 6.5M to the stack. But all that was normal "common sense" merchanting, which many of the players do. Finally at the end of January I started to research trading patterns on GE and experiment with short term trades, basically speculation. It worked, I am up to 140M and this is way more than I need...

All right, enough of history. Here is the strategy:
1. Look for items or commodities which are in "moderate" demand, meaning that they are needed by many players but not being sold instantly at the medium, low of high prices. That's the key.
2. Buy such items for either price slightly above the low or slightly above the medium price. It depends on an item and whether it is on a rise of fall at the moment. You'll have to do a research there, monitor the prices and use your common sense and see if some new game feature affects these items. "Slightly" means 1-10 gp for commodities and may go up to 1K-50K for other items. Note that your order will NOT be filled immediately! It is very important. You have to wait, sometime hours till it starts filling in. Sometime it never will, too bad - which could mean that the "slightly" was defined poorly or the item is not good for speculation.
3. Sell the items at the price slightly below the high or slightly below the medium price. The same as in #2.
4. After you find items you like, use bulk of your free cash to buy/sell a lot of them. Again "a lot" differs from item to item. It may be 10 or 100 or 200 or 100000. Really depends or the volume the item is trading on GE, which again you have to find by experimenting with it.
5. Find at least 6 such items and use all 6 slots for the trading. Watch out for price changes and repost your orders after one happens.
6. Be ready, that some of the items may become unprofitable over time, keep researching to have alternatives!
7. Don't expect to get the same profit margin from all items. You won't. For instance, the ones I use give me about 160K, 180K, 500K, 750K, 250K, 700K per buy/sell cycle. But my 500K+ ones work once a day, while 160K and 180K work several times a day.

So why does it work and why it is not a bug abuse? Well, because, the GE works perfectly well, what we are dealing with here is impatience of Runescape players. When an item does not sell, for medium or high price instantly, they often choose to sell it lower instead of waiting. So basically, the profit comes from taking this margin from impatient players.

That's pretty much it.
Good luck!

21 comments:

Chris Cunliffe said...

Wonderful guide Vaskor, and it was very generous of you to share your insights considering the ability for profit using such a method is obviously greatly diminished the more other use these methods.

I do have a question though, are you finding that the majority of the items you are trading are P2P items or F2P items?

Vaskor said...

Thank you, Chris.
The items I personally trade are P2P, but I am pretty sure you can find F2P ones to trade either. It's just will be a bit more difficult to find good items which are in "moderate" demand.

Anonymous said...

1. Look for items or commodities which are in "moderate" demand, meaning that they are needed by many players but not being sold instantly at the medium, low of high prices. That's the key.

Could you explain how you go about finding these items? Is it just trial and error? If an item is not sold at low, mid, or high values - how do you know that demand is simply to low?

Vaskor said...

I guess, yes, trial and error. I don't have a sure recipe there... Sometime I get clues from forums, where people would complain that such and such good item lost too much value, so I go and look if my strategy works for there. Sometime, people staying at GE shouting that they can't buy or sell a particular item, so I go check those. I also do a 'sanity check' first. If an item is useless for "normal" in my opinion players (like pies) or in really high demand (like sara brews recently), I don't even bother.

Chris Cunliffe said...

Vaskor, what would you describe as "moderate demand".

Also I have just done a little review of this post on RS Haven! It should be published later in the week.

Anonymous said...

wow a great tip there, i made like 150-1m per cycle of it
yay

Vaskor said...

Chris,
"Moderate" demand means the item is not sold instantly at low, high or medium prices, but at the same time the item seems to be useful for many players (here my 'sanity check' comes), so there are probably quite a few transactions during the day.

Mac,
Cool. I am glad you were able to apply it!

vape5 said...

nice and impressive guide, but like myself many people arnt member its a bit more difficult to use this guide as well as a person could use it as a member could, besides the point i know most people probably already know this but i thought i would share the way i make money through the G/E with more than likely as well as a bunch more people do.

i buy 1k of coal ore and 500 iron ore and smelt them to steel bars and sell them for a profit of more than 100 gp each added up and everything, as in right now the prices

84gp each for iron ore

152gp each for coal

since you need 2 coal and 1 iron ore to make one steel bar you add up the coal ore twice and then the iron ore its paying about 388 for steel bar and selling it back for more than 500gp each along with gaining some exp for smithing and you can do this with mithril and bronze and any other ore except silver and gold.

you can buy mith ores for about 500gp and sell the bars for about 1200 each its pretty good for a non -member i remember when i was member picked flax all day lol

Anonymous said...

what i like to do is make cannonballs.
-buy 1k steel bars for about 600-650k
-turn them into cannonballs (takes awhile)ea bar makes 4
-sell them 210gp easy (840k)
-(u can buy ores and make steel bars for an extra 400k, but this takes a while)

EASY MONEY AND MODERATE XP

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting this information. I'm curious if you found a preference or can share advice on the following question.

Do you find it works better to go after slim amounts of margin on huge volumes of lower price items or to trade fewer higher priced items?

Vaskor said...

My best items are not commodities and I buy/sell 200-300 of them in one cycle, but I trade a few commodities as well. I was not able to find a good really "high-priced" item to trade in this way yet.

tiagofigueiro said...

Thank you, by reading this guide I didn't learn anything new but I checked that I am going the right way . I found a good item and it is working, I probably should just invest a bit more cash in it since I am down to 4M at the moment ..

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the guide, i wish i could figure it out lol. how can i tell wether to buy the item slightly above the minimum or the medium?and likewise how do i know how much to sell each for

Anonymous said...

Nice Work!

Opan5

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing your speculation practices. I have quick question though. So you buy slightly below the medium or slighty above the low and then sell slightly above the medium and or sell above the low (as long as you are making a profit) ? I have only done a small amount of merchanting on the GE so I am just slightly confused ;). Thanks for the clarification !

Vaskor said...

Let me give an example.

Say, there is a good item with price range of 115245 - 126445, medium at 120845. Assuming this item is on a rise or stable, I would try to buy it for 117K and sell for 125K. If it is rising rather sharply I might not be able to buy it below medium, so I would buy for 121K and sell for 126K. If the item is declining I would buy it for 116K and sell for 120K. Something like that.

Anonymous said...

Hey Vector, thanks for this helpful guide. Just a couple questions...When you say "commodities which are in "moderate" demand", how do you go about finding these items? Like, how should I, a person brand new to GE merching, go about finding an item in "moderate" demand? Another words, where should I start? In advance, thanks for whatever information you can give back to me :)

Anonymous said...

My bad Vaskor, I wrote Vector for your name in my original post.

-Dew 22

Vaskor said...

John, thank you for the comment. Please look at my replays to Knifestorm and Chris above, I was answering the same question you have :-)

Anonymous said...

I am personnaly doing the same thing, but on end products.

Buy low commodities, and maintain high vendor prices for their associated manufactured pdcts.

Perso, I am fed up to see my commodities worthing more than the end pdcts...

Who is with me to build a "trust"? And define ourselfs the prices of what we are producing?

contact me.

Yarrathotmaildotfr

Anonymous said...

Good work also way to make money off the grand exchange is runnning newts. Thats right not nats newts. anyway with the update on unlimited stock in specialty stores there is a good way to make money. in the port sarim magic store at stock (unlimited items) eye of newts sell for 3 gp a piecce. On the grand exchange on the other hand they sell for 63gp a piece as of july 5th 2009 at mininum price. so just to try this method i bought 100 of them for 300gp i sold on the grand exchange and got 6.3k so a 6k profit of 300 gp so i took 3k gp and bought 1k newts sold them mininum price a t ge an got 63k back off 3k! so if u bought 10k of them for 30k you would get a 600k profit! then from there buy 100k (very dull) for 300k then sell for 6m! (Exciting!) and then just keep selling increasing from 6k-60k-600k-6m-60m-600m-6B!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyway loved your guide good job

 
2006-2009 RuneWise, all rights reserved.
Reproducing or copying any material found on this page is not allowed.
Runescape is a trademark of Jagex 2000-2009 Andrew Gower