Sunday, June 1, 2008

Secret of Witch's Hat

Knowing that Runescape world is loosely based on Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels, I am reading them one by one. Great, smart and funny books!

The last one I read was "Equal Rites" where I finally got to meet Granny Weatherwax. Imagine my surprise though when I realized that I already knew Granny. Only by different name - Merch Gwyar. I just couldn't shake the connection off - the more I read the book the clearer it was becoming. Speaking about role playing aspect of the game... It all might be just my imagination, of course, but it is so clear for me now...

Well, I also learned a secret behind witch's pointy hats and I'll dare to share it with you:

Esk: "It's a witch's hat because you wear it. But you're a witch because you wear the hat. Um."
Granny Weatherwax: "So--"
Esk: "So people see you coming in the hat and the cloak and they know you're a witch and that's why your magic works?"
Granny Weatherwax: "That's right. It's called headology."

And another quotation:

"I've lost my hat," she said.
Cutangle sighed. "Does it really matter at a time like this?"
"A witch has got to have a hat, otherwise who's to know?" said Granny. She made a grab as something dark and sodden drifted by, cackled triumphantly, tipped out the water and rammed the hat on her head. It had lost its stiffening and flopped rather rakishly over one eye.
"Right," she said, in a tone of voice that suggested the whole universe had just better watch out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Woot! I'm taking that as the compliment of the century! Thank you very much.

 
2006-2009 RuneWise, all rights reserved.
Reproducing or copying any material found on this page is not allowed.
Runescape is a trademark of Jagex 2000-2009 Andrew Gower