Friday, June 6, 2008

Stealing from Runescape Blogs

I am quite angry today. With that special mixture of anger and frustration that you get when see injustice but not able to do anything about it.

It all started yesterday when I was looking for new Runescape articles and bumped into one called "Economics of training Runescape skills". I recognized it as one of Steve's posts, but the site that hosted it wasn't Steve's one. In fact it was one of the Runescape Cheating and RWT sites. The article was clearly stolen and I wrote Steve about it. Here is Steve's response (by the way, thanks for the links!). That was yesterday.

Then today I decided to investigate the matter a little bit more. And what do you think? I found out that not only ALL articles on that particular site were stolen, but I also found several more sites and blogs (yes, even blogs!) like that. Hundreds of stolen articles, not only from Steve, I also saw tons of Sal's guides there, my articles from RS Haven - those are just a few examples.

I reported blogs hosted by Blogspot to the Blogspot team and marked them as inappropriate, maybe it will help, but some of the sites has unique domains and I am not really sure about what can be done there. Does anyone here have experience in such situations? If yes, please, advise.
Because I am steaming...

And when you see a blog like that, please, at least mark it as "inappropriate" or send a complain to the hosting service (I know both Blogspot and Wordpress allow you to do so).

Thank you.

7 comments:

IVIilitarus said...

This begs the question of why would RWTs want their blogs ? Any reasons, Vaskor ?

Vaskor said...

Two reasons:
-- They boost their ranks in search engines by posting Runescape related content.
-- Plus they get a look of a genuine fan site and get more players to trust them.

Unknown said...

This is extremely unfair!

They could at least post where the got the guide from and not act as if the guide was their own!

Anonymous said...

You could send them a DMCA notice.

Turbo said...

I have found a number of these sites myself. This one being the absolute worst: http://www.gprunescape.com/runescape/2008/06/how-to-make-a-runescape-strength-pure.html

They don't even play the game and 40% of the articles are stolen from pre-wildy days. It really does make you wonder.

Turbo said...

Sorry to double post. I couldn't edit my earlier post. You actually prompted me to blog about the site I mentioned.

Here is the link: http://rsinvestor.blogspot.com/

Vaskor said...

Turbo,
yes, this is one of the sites I don't know what to do about... Every article there is stolen and it looks like an automated "stealing mechanism" is in place.

Anonymous,
How would one go about sending DMCA notice? How does it work?

 
2006-2009 RuneWise, all rights reserved.
Reproducing or copying any material found on this page is not allowed.
Runescape is a trademark of Jagex 2000-2009 Andrew Gower