Sunday, August 24, 2008

Respect and Money in Runescape

Topper talks about respect and wealth in Runescape. Can a low level player be respected for his ability to accumulate wealth in Runescape? Do you have to be a veteran player with impressive skills set in order to "earn" a right to wear expensive items? Well, it is a very controversial topic. Some say that only hard work can lead to a respectable status within the game, others point out that it is takes a lot of effort to make money regardless of the level. I have mixed feeling in this regard and this is why:

  • I know that it is relatively easy to make 100+ millions gp in the game and anyone can do it no matter what skills he/she has. I am talking about speculation/merchanting on the GE.
  • But I also know that very few players actually do it and earn their money using their in-game skills. And in this case it IS very hard to make a lot of money (two years of play before the GE resulted in about 10M gp for me counting all the items).

When I see a low/medium level player wearing expensive outfit, there is no way for me to tell how he/she earned that kind of money. So how should I judge him/her?

And then there is also a question: how CAN I judge other players? and why?

5 comments:

Jax said...

I tend to be more impressed with levels then anything else. I know quite a few money who got their money, prior to the RTW changes, by gathering the stuff that their RL friends dumped when they quit.

And I agree with Topper, seeing someone with 50million in gear walk by with a little 70 over their hand...I just ignore it.

Some of the people I most respect though have none of that. Average levels, average gear, nothing special to look at. Wonderful people to count as friends though.

Mahin said...

Hi again. Fisrt i would thank you for linking to my blog.
I read this article and well neither levels nor items impress me. Nowadays most high level people are just people who took advantage of the old Pest Control. However, there are few, very few people who fathered stuff their RL freinds dumped when they quit, as jax said. Only a few people quit. I for example, made my gold merchanting before trade limits, and i must say i was pretty good at it. Now i am adapting to the ge and still making some decent gold. I will be writing a guide about merchanting with the grand exchange soon here:

http://mahin-runescapetips.blogspot.com/

To the owner of runescape readers digest blos: i would like to contact you for some future work, add my on msn: mahin__khan@hotmail.com, thats 2 underscores. Thanks.

Vaskor said...

Mahin, I don't use MSN. If you need to reach me, please, send me an email at vaskor_runewise@yahoo.com
Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Sadly all too many people only respect wealth in this game. Also misplaced for respect is how many 99's a person may have. My total overall is very high, but I only own a few capes, so I get less respect (not that it should matter but alas). Very few people respect OAL, as a couple posters here are the exception, not the rule.

With the new lending system, I think gear gets less respect now, as people cant prove it's thiers now anyway.....

G said...

I got to agree with Jax, high levels is more interesting to me than possessions.

Nothing against good armor or what not, if you worked for it and want to reward yourself, go ahead. Most of the high levels I know dress in normal gear, nothing too fancy, when not working on combat. Why you'd need a godsword to go on a farming run is beyond me.

 
2006-2009 RuneWise, all rights reserved.
Reproducing or copying any material found on this page is not allowed.
Runescape is a trademark of Jagex 2000-2009 Andrew Gower