Monday, September 1, 2008

Another Market Crash in Runescape or Why is Dragonfire Shield untradeable?

I've been camping, hiking and sliding from waterfalls into icy water the last two days and naturally missed a beginning of yet another panic sell-off on the GE. Before I go any further, please, take a look at Steve's article about it.

Done? Now, here is what I think about it. First of all, I don't think there is a global market crash. All important commodity items are stable as well as majority of middle level/price items and rares. Pretty much only big ticket weapons and armors got hit. And I would not blame merchants there either. In my opinion, it's coming PvP updates that should be blamed. New great weapons and armors were promised, so players started to sell their expensive items of the same sort to raise cash before the updates and before their price would go down. Several days of such moderate sell off pushed big-ticket items to the bottom of their price range and then panic started. Now everybody was in a hurry to get rid of their big-ticket items before it was too late.

I don't believe the sell off is sustainable and view it as an opportunity. In fact, as soon as I read Steve's post and checked the market prices I went and bought 2 sets of bandos and 2 sets of armadyl armor. I am going to keep one set of each kind for myself and sell the other two sets fo profit (hopefully in the near future).

But one thing from Steve's post is worrying me a lot. And it is Jagex's move to make Dragonfire Shield unsellable on the GE. Ridiculous... I can understand that Jagex might be trying to stop heavy DFS merchanting and also might be preventing panicked players from selling their Dragonfire Shields too cheap, but I simply can't see how such move can be positive. Unless Jagex interferes even further or removes this restriction players will keep dumping their dragon visages till they hit the high alch bottom. I can hardly see it as a good thing.

Another side of this move is "ethical". Imagine a merchant player who saw shields dropping in price and bought 10 of them (and no, it wasn't me, I don't normally merchant expensive items). Then came Jagex and made this item untradeable. That's 150M loss right there. Kind of harsh, don't you think? Wouldn't it be nicer to make an official warning about excessive merchanting or put some kind of a limit on how many DFSs one can sell in a month or something else along those lines? Huh?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Vaskor thanks for linking another one of my posts.

Since writing another option has been brought to my attention, In the UK the school holidays have come to an end, I am wondering if kids parents are stopping their membership so they can concentrate on school work more and there is mass selling of member items.

I am waiting for the armadyl to reach rock bottom before buying, the set losing 1m a day not a good investment yet.

I haven't tried selling the DFS with other players so it may be that you cant trade on the GE but still possible on a person to person trade.

G said...

I wondering why Jagex would have little, if any, interest in the economy of its game. It seems all the tools are in place for it to be player regulated (with the GE updating based on how items are selling).

Steve's comment brings up a good point, school's starting again and I've seen a lot of people selling off their items so they can cash in before they head back to class.

Interesting about not being able to sell DFS on the GE though, that's weird. I can't tell you how many Irons/Steels I've killed and never gotten a visage. Maybe I should pick up a DFS while prices are dropping..

Vaskor said...

Yeah, beginning of the school year probably contributed to it too.

Anonymous said...

The reason the DFS was untradable is because the shield was fully charged, apparently its not tradable like that.

See, even an ubber megga high level player such as myself can make mistakes.

I even sold my visage for 21.5m and the DFS is still 16.5m.

Vaskor said...

Ah, that explains it. I am glad it wasn't an artificial restriction after all.

 
2006-2009 RuneWise, all rights reserved.
Reproducing or copying any material found on this page is not allowed.
Runescape is a trademark of Jagex 2000-2009 Andrew Gower