Sunday, December 26, 2010

Interviews with Runescape Fan Sites: RuneArmada

Today's interview is with Sky, owner and developer of RuneArmada. Enjoy!

Q: How would you describe your site in a few words?
A: RuneArmada is a simple site dedicated to providing guides on things that larger fan sites tend to overlook.

Q: Can you tell us about major milestones of your site? A little bit of a history?
A: RuneArmada started in August 2010. It started off as just side project of my personal blog, but it quickly became popular enough to warrant its own domain.

Q: What inspired you to start a Runescape fan site?
A: Just how popular the few RuneScape posts became that I had on my personal blog.

Q: What were your original goals for the site?
A: Our main goal has pretty much stayed the same. Provide in-depth guides that mostly specialize in performing a task as efficient as possible. Things such as a frost dragon guide for those without a pack yak or soul split, or a guide to perform "multi-chest" Barrows trips.

Q: Was it the first web site you ever created?
A: Other than my school projects, it is my second website.

Q:
What technologies were used to create the site? Did you add new technologies into the mix after you created the original version?
A: Just Wordpress.

Q: Is there a unique feature/service your site provides to Runescape players?
A: Our RuneArmada Chat podcast. Find us in iTunes!

Q: Did you start the site alone or with friends?
A: I started it alone, but my friends quickly joined in.

Q: Are you the only developer of the site's code?
A: For now.

Q: How many staff members do you have? How did you find/chose them?
A: I've got 2.5 staff members. 2 write guides, and another friend is helping with our Facebook page.

Q: Did you even had to deal with hostility and/or attacks from other fan sites?
A: Yes, but I'd rather not get into it :).

Q: Did you ever consider making money with the site or is it just a hobby?
A: It's just a hobby, but I do accept paypal donations and have ads to pay for the site hosting.

Q: What do you think about the current Jagex's fan sites support program? Do they do too much, too little? Is there something you'd wish would go differently?
A: I think they don't provide enough fan site support for the smaller sites. If you're a gold/ platinum site it seems you get all the attention. Those sites do deserve it though.

Q: Do you still play Runescape? If yes, how often?
A: Yeah, nearly every day.

Q: What's you Runescape goals, if any?
A: At the moment I'd like to complete While Guthix Sleeps, and get 73+ all skills.

Q: What kind of Runescape player are you? Which Runescape aspect is most appealing to you: quests, role-playing, skilling, pking, minigames etc.?
A: I mainly focus just on the skills.

Q: Are there other Runescape fan sites you personally use as a Runescape player?
A: RuneScape wiki :)

Q: Do you follow/read Runescape blogs and news papers from other sites?
A: I follow Jagex's Twitter accounts. Feel free to follow RuneArmada on twitter at @RuneArmada. My personal twitter is @Sky_Armada.

Q: Is there something you don't mind revealing about your RL (age, country, hobbies etc.)?
A: Most people don't know that I'm married to my high school sweetheart. I'm also developing my own indie games. My first game, "SkyTeck BlackJack" will be out sometime in February, I hope.

Thank you very much, Sky!

P.S. I absolutely loved the Firemaking project video from the site. Indeed, epic.


No comments:

 
2006-2009 RuneWise, all rights reserved.
Reproducing or copying any material found on this page is not allowed.
Runescape is a trademark of Jagex 2000-2009 Andrew Gower