Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Runescape Grand Excange. First impressions.

Here we go. Grand Exchange is there and it is working. Not perfect, but still a big help to every skiller. I personally was able to sell a lot of things there, clean up my bank and collected a good chunk of money. My sells included 30K maple logs (82 ea), 300 dueling rings (3800 ea), pieces of black and while mystic armors and 20 rune kites (47k ea). I also bought tons of second ingredients for Herblore as well as raw sharks. So far so good.
Overall community took the update quite positively too. The votes I saw had about 80% positive answers. And as prices get adjusted, I am sure, more and more people will find the Grand Exchange useful.
Are the problems? Well, yes. As with almost any update there are bugs and issues and there are people who rightfully or wrongfully complain about the change. The main issue is, of course, 5% limit and infrequent price updates. One very negative, but still worth reading, article about it can be found on TruthScape. My take on it is that the prices will eventually settle down and 5% limit won't matter that much.
Other potential issues: new items, affect on shops, sharp drop in prices of some commodities (like sharks), ease of money laundering for gold farmers. There are more, actually.

OK, so what are my first impressions? Here is the list:
1. I love it. No more standing in banks, switching worlds and shouting around.
2. It indeed works, while I sleep, yahoo!
3. I can buy as many red spider eggs as I want to, yes!
4. Sold 30K maple logs 82ea. I am not dreaming, am I?
5. Where all this extra space in my bank came from?
6. I wish the market would be a bit more flexible and prices get adjusted quicker.
7. I guess the selling crowds won't disappear, they just changed location.
8. Excuse me, why the things I want to sell can be sold only for the minimum price?
9. I wonder will there be a limitation introduced on player-to-player trades in the future? I can see it coming and it would definitely end real world trading (gold for money) problem. But would I like it? I don't know.
10. But hey, I just sold black mystic bottom I had in my bank for more than a year!

And so it goes. Enjoy :-)

5 comments:

Calanon said...

Yup, ge is a great update, however my stuff has not been sold since it came out :(

Knifestorm said...

The article you linked to on "Truth" Scape uses a classic straw-man argument. It says price controls don't work and then tells you why. The thing is, the GE is not price control. You can still trade player-to-player, you can still buy at stores, you can still do all the things you could do last week. Now you can trade at the GE also. Jagex is not forcing prices, it is only limiting prices at the GE. The prices at the GE are also supposed to automatically adjust to the market - - to the free market.

Enough with the Jagex is communistic rants. There is no truth in 'em.

My impression of the GE is that it is great. There are snags, however. The most notable is that they don't seem to have a means to adjust prices when there are no trades (if the price range Jagex set is way too high or too low then their system fails). Hints on the forums are that they are working on this.

More importantly, the RS economy is now awash in low and mid level non-consumables. Only top-of-the-line stuff and consumable stuff is selling well. Why buy a mith helm when you can buy a rune helm instead, price is not much of a differentiator.

The helm you buy may last forever. Too much stuff in RS lasts forever and this will now effect the economy because this stuff is no longer sitting in personal banks.

Anonymous said...

I love it, they have done a great job and addressed the issues I had concerns about, not allowing to set a price higher or lower than 5% will minimise any damage to the economy.

My son can trade his stuff and not get ripped off on price.

RWT and gold farmers money laundering can now be monitored easily, we have a small amount of history on our transactions, I bet Jagex have a lot more sophisticated tracking devices built in.

I don't like the fact that the store prices reflect the GE prices, no great deals in there any more.

Jagex have a sticky on their forum for prices that are way out so hopefully the worst price differences will be fixed, prices went from 1.9k to 1.55k on D bones in an hour so things are getting done, I spent 38m on d bones, they were 1.7 before GE, I bought them before the prices stabilise just in case they go up again.

Time will tell how it progresses, people may resort back to normal trading or use GE all the time, I sold 82 rune axes over night how long would that have taken individually.

Anonymous said...

I should have read the Truthscape article before commenting.

Again it is too long to read it all but what a load of tosh, there are going to be issues when new items come onto the market place but that is the only thing that makes sense on that post and that will be dealt with when it occurs.

People arnt able to sell things because there are loads of people selling them already, lava staves are over priced but these will go down because everyone is selling at bottom price the way the GE is designed the price has to drop.

I had 7 rune hallies the price is low on GE but I still put on to sell to get rid of them, I put at bottom price and the price will go down as most others sellers did too, they took a while to sell the first but as soon as my place in the queue was reached they sold withing 2 minutes.

When all players who want r hally at the moment have them, I will sell them at asking price or above when I get more, price will go up again.

Vaskor said...

Yeah, we'll see how it goes. I am also thinking that the prices will find good buying/selling niches soon (within 1-2 weeks maybe) and GE will work even more efficiently. It is a great benefit already, and should become even better.

 
2006-2009 RuneWise, all rights reserved.
Reproducing or copying any material found on this page is not allowed.
Runescape is a trademark of Jagex 2000-2009 Andrew Gower