Thursday, June 12, 2008

Buying Skills in Runescape

Steve raised an old question about "people buying skill capes". Take a look (and there is also a video guide for shark fishing, do not attempt). I partially agree, but not quite. Here is the response I posted in Steve's blog.

I agree, that accusing people in buying skills is not good. No matter, how much money you spend on a skill you still have to put a LOT of time and effort into raising it to 99.

However, some skills can be raised significantly faster and easier if you are able to buy supplies and the "getting the money to buy the supplies takes time and work" argument is not really valid. For instance, I am buying and burning magic logs to raise firemaking, but I am also making about 3M a day merchanting (or speculating, if you will) and it takes me 10 minutes per day to do so. Comparing it to the way I raised Thieving, when I get the Firemaking cape, I will have to admit that I bought it.

Lucky drops and old and dusty party hats can replace "speculation on the GE" too. My point is that it is not necessarily takes a lot of time and effort to make a lot of money in Runescape and therefore skills that can be bought may be indeed a bit de-valuated.


But what do you think about this issue? Can the skills be divided like that?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I got my cooking cape I had 16m to get the raws with, the reason I had 16m was because I just got 85 slayer, before getting 85 I had a max of 1m, could I have got 99 cooking with that?

A lot of people think 250k is a lot of money could they get 99 fletching with that?

getting the money is a major part of getting a 99 quickly, I have a lot of money because I have the skill levels and know how to get it, that has been developed over the years I have been playing.

You need to work for money be it using your skills or knowledge of the market, this all needs to be learnt or earned.

I have the logs for firemaking from my kingdom if I ever get to burn them I will have well and truly earned that cape, I have the logs for 99 but I do not enjoy FM.

Anonymous said...

Getting 99 in any skill is impressive, whether you "buy" it or not. So I wouldn't diminish any 99 skill, no matter how it was acheived. 00chief00

Anonymous said...

A 99 is impressive on its own. However, there are a number of skills which are more impressive to get a 99 in than others. For example, my first cape was fishing. I did this at piscatoris which maxes around 32k xp/hr. At shilo it could have been 40k xp/hr. However compared to something like Cooking, where you can buy all the supplies you need and get over 150k xp/hr, there is significantly less time spent working on the skill, which in fact, makes it easier.

Skills like Fishing, Woodcutting, Mining have no way of getting easier and faster xp by spending money.

I think buying a cape just for the sake of having it, devalues its meaning. I could have easily had 99 cooking, but I refuse to cook a fish or food I haven't caught or made myself. Its a little morerespectable than somoen who just spent $10M and has a fletching cape in a matter of about a week.

 
2006-2009 RuneWise, all rights reserved.
Reproducing or copying any material found on this page is not allowed.
Runescape is a trademark of Jagex 2000-2009 Andrew Gower