Wednesday, July 30, 2008

End of the War and how to file DMCA complains

My fight with the cheating Runescape blog which was stealing my content came to an end. A few days ago I filed DMCA complain against that blog to Google and today all posts I complained about got removed from that blog. I guess I can claim a victory now. Though it is upsetting me that Google didn't make any steps to actually close that splog (spamming blog) - only content which was stolen from me was removed.

Anyway, it was a good experience and I am glad I went through it. Now I know how to defend myself and it means something. As for the process itself, it wasn't hard at all. Apparently filing a DMCA complain was not a brainier at all, I spent maybe 15 minutes of my time doing it.

Basically I followed steps described in this post from DevTopics site.

1. First of all I posted the Cease & Desist Message in the comments for the stolen posts.
2. Then I waited for about a week and faxed the official DMCA complain to Google.
3. That's it.

Cease & Desist Message and DMCA complain templates can be found in the DevTopic's post too.

Thinking back I believe that step #1 wasn't really necessary, I could had started right from the DMCA complain with the same results.

But enough of it. I should really be writing more about Runescape - and I will, honestly. The saga has ended, illusions were lost, venom spilled and weapons forged. What else could I ask for?

No comments:

 
2006-2009 RuneWise, all rights reserved.
Reproducing or copying any material found on this page is not allowed.
Runescape is a trademark of Jagex 2000-2009 Andrew Gower